Arrival and set-up
Festival hours are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Booths should be set up by 9:30 a.m. Saturday and 10:30 a.m. Sunday. Upon arrival, all exhibitors should check in at the ART MARKET, located near the corner of North Broad and West Main streets and present photo ID. Here you will be given your name tags, booth signs, etc. A volunteer will be on hand until 7:00 p.m. Friday, and starting at 6:30 a.m. Saturday. We encourage you to present donations for the ART MARKET at check-in, so that they will be available for the auction as early as possible.
Set-up begins at noon on Friday. Beginning at 2:00 p.m., side streets will close to regular traffic and are LOADING ZONES ONLY. As a courtesy to others, vehicles should be removed as quickly as they are unloaded and parked in a designated area. NO VEHICLES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE GRASS AT ANY TIME. Overnight security is provided, but if you wish to reload your vehicle, you may do so after 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.
When loading out at the close of the event, please do not move your vehicle from the parking areas until you are packed up and ready to load. Space is very limited and your cooperation will help make things go smoothly. Please be considerate and do not block others’ access to their booths or vehicles.
West Park vendor parking is available in the County Office parking lot, behind Howard Johnson’s or behind the United Church of Christ (accessible from Hayes street). East Park vendor parking will be in the Frontier parking lot which can most easily be accessed through a gate on one-way Lackawanna Ave.
Sales tax information
Exhibitors must collect NYS sales tax and a current Sales Tax Certificate must be prominently displayed at all times as required by law. The sales tax rate in Chenango County is 8%, excluding footware and clothing for human use costing less than $110. To receive a Sales Tax Certificate, contact the NYS Dept. of Taxation & Finance by calling 800-698-2909 or go to http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/ads/webdtf17.htm, or 518-485-2889.
A complimentary Hospitality Center is provided for your enjoyment at the southwest corner of the Courthouse in West Park. Here you will find food, beverages and a place to relax. Your name tag is required for admission.
We will deliver lunches mid-day, or you can take advantage of the selections at the Culinary Court. Lunch tickets will be included in your check-in packet (two lunches per booth per day) and are valid for both deliveries or Hospitality Center lunches. We can accomodate vegetarian diets, but people with other dietary needs will need to provide their own meals.
Judging & awards
Judging begins at 10:00 a.m. Saturday.
Awards are as follows:
- Categories with five or more entries receive three awards (1st, 2nd and 3rd);
- Categories with four or more entries receive two awards (1st and 2nd); and
- Categories with three entries or fewer will receive one award (1st).
Award amounts are: 1st – $200; 2nd – $100; and 3rd – $50.
$200 BEST BOOTH and $300 BEST OF SHOW AWARDS will also be presented. Award winners will be granted jury-exempt status for the 2020 Colorscape Chenango Arts Festival, September 5th & 6th.
Awards will be presented at the complimentary Artist Awards Breakfast Sunday morning at the Broad Street Methodist Church, across from the Howard Johnson Hotel. Details and breakfast tickets will be included in your check-in folder.
May be presented by shoppers and should be treated the same as cash for the purchase of artwork. Make change as needed, as you will be reimbursed for the full value of the Certificate. Please treat the holders of these Certificates well, since they are Colorscape’s partners and volunteers – the people and businesses who make this all possible!
All Certificates must be signed by Celeste Friend, Executive Director, and have an embossed corporate stamp (dated 1999) to be valid. It is your responsibility to verify that certificates are current, signed and stamped. To redeem your ColorCash certificates, present them to Treasurer Peggy Finnegan at FESTIVAL HEADQUARTERS between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, or mail them to the address below by October 1st.
Hotels and lodging:
- Chenango Inn & Suites (formerly Howard Johnsons) in downtown Norwich is offering a rate of $65+tax for Colorscape exhibitors. Call the hotel at 607.334.2200 and tell the desk clerk you are a Colorscape artist to get the discount. If you have any problems ask for general manager, Dana Meyer, or let me know.
- The Norwich Super 8 is offering a discount rate of $70+tax for Colorscape artists. If you encounter any problems getting the discount when you call 607.336.8880, ask for the manager, Jody Purdy. This motel is on NYS Route 12 at the north edge of the city. You can visit their web site.
- Fred’s Inn offers a rate of $89.00+tax for a room with a regular king-sized bed for Colorscape artists. Call 607.334.9282, mention that you are a Colorscape artist and the rate. This facility has a restaurant and pub, and is located 4 miles south of Norwich on NYS Route 12. Check their web site
- The Splendor Inn Bed & Breakfast at So. Broad Street in Norwich is offering a 10% discount on their regular rates to Colorscape artists. Contact Ann or Christ Smith at (607)336-5003 or email@example.com. Visit their website.
Camping will be available at the Chenango county fairgrounds. Electrical, water and septic hook-ups are offered on a first-come basis. You can register for a site and pay your fee when you check in. I will notify you of fees when they are confirmed. Restrooms with showers are also available at the fairgrounds for campers.
Food and shopping
A variety of restaurants and businesses are available in downtown Norwich. Culinary vendors will be present at the festival. Norwich features several galleries, gift shops, a beautifully restored movie theater and a variety of other shops.
Be sure to contact me if you have any questions or problems. I’ll see you in September!